A Peanut Butter filled Kong is a great healthy alternative snack for your dog. Brutus is enjoying his Kong emensely! Yes that is slobber.
If your dogs are anything like mine, they like human left overs. Mine will lay down in a semi-circle around me while I am eating and will wait patiently for me to offer them the last forkfuls off my plate. While I dont really like them eying every single bite I take and drooling, they are remarkably well behaved and will not try to encroach on the plate. I usually don’t think twice about what I give them because I know their No-No list (which is topped by Bush’s Baked Beans) and the “Doggie No-No” list.
Most people know not to feed chocolate or chocolate products to their dogs. But what else is bad for them? You would be surprised. There are several random items that are quite harmful if eaten. A friend of mine living in Arizona found out the hard way what happens when her 2 year old Saint Bernard got into a container macadamia nuts Friday night. After a nap, she found him looking really sorry for himself and unable to
stand. She took him to her vet the next morning and he was diagnosed as having macadamia nut toxicity. (Article detailing the symptoms and treatment for macadamia nut toxicity.) Luckily he was treated and will make a full recovery.
After this ordeal I thought it a prudent reminder to post the Doggie No-No list in hopes that we can prevent sickness, injury or death of our beloved furry companions.
Doggie No-No List
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Avacados (skin and pits) – causes difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the lungs and heart. The fruit, pit and plant are toxic.
- Chocolate (all forms) – causes seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most toxic.
- Coffee and Tea (all forms) – foods and drinks containing caffeine cause similar symptoms as chocolate ingestion.
- Fatty Foods – causes pancreatitis.
- Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts – Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER.
- Moldy or Spoiled foods
- Onions, Onion Powders – destroys red blood cells and may cause anemia.
- Raisins and Grapes – causes liver damage/failure. As little as a single serving can kill a dog.
- Salt – excessive consumption causes kidney problems.
- Yeast Dough – expands several times its original size in the stomach. Especially dangerous to dogs prone to bloat.
- Green Tomatoes – can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia. The plant is more toxic than the fruit, though all should be avoided. This is a member of the nightshade family.
- Pits (apple/cherry/peach) – contain cyanide. The fleshy part of the fruit however is good for them.
- Garlic - excessive amounts
- Products sweetened with xylatol – causes liver failure.